Friday, March 13, 2009

so, I had surgery...

Ok, so here is the run down on my very busy past 3 days... As you know from my previous message I had a DR appt 8am on Wednesday- When I went to the Dr we had to wait about 2 hours before we were seen, which is very had when I was advised to not "sit" down at all- let me tell you that a waiting rm chair sitting for that long, did not help my situation- I finally saw the Dr he said that his suspicion after taking multiple x-rays that didnt show anything was that I had a "severely herniated disc" my options were to continue bedrest and try to let it heal on its own for 6-8 weeks- or if I needed to be better soon (which I obviously did to take care of my baby) was to go directly to the ER Valley Hospital be admitted for an MRI, to confirm his diagnosis then he would do surgery Thursday morning. So, my mom rushed me right over there- My Dad came up to sit with me while my Mom was working (my lucky Dad got to spend his vacation this week in the hospital taking care of me, Man- he already needs another vacatioin!)
So, after being admitted-we were made aware of some not so good news, that was very time sensitive with the Dr- if you read the paper, you would probably know why. With hearing that my Dad and me said no to letting the initital Dr do the surgery, we would like our case to be transferred to someone else. That threw a HUGE kink in the chain of commands, they didn't know what to do with me at that point. finally deciding they would move forward as if I arrived with no referral as a walk in off the street. So, they reassigned the on-call neurosurgeon to my case and I waited for him to come speak to me- I had 2 sets of x-rays (4-5 each set) and an MRI (which confirmed the herniated disc, and also showed that I have a torn vertabrae- which wasn't the reason for my pain, so, we just left it alone) - no, if you're wondering my skin was not glowing. Well, that DR NEVER came to talk to me. So after getting admitted into a room at 12:15am Thursday, I waited that whole day and finally at 2:30pm the original Dr came in. Very scary to My Dad and me to see him. After my Dad got a chance to talk with him and ask him some questions we both felt that he was perfectly capable and ready to perform my surgery- with no distractions- so, we switched BACK to that Dr. I'm very glad we did, he is the best in his field- came highly recommended,he went out of his way to follow through and he performed my surgery last night around 11:15pm, and best, he comes to Cedar City to work once per month, so I will be able to do all my follow up appointments with him at home- talk about convenient huh?!
I was totally put out for surgery, it lasted about 45 min to an hour, I woke up in recovery around 1am- very groggy, but I'm happy to say no nausea or any side affects. And as soon as I woke up, the pain had alredy started to diminish- I had a new set, from my incision, but its very little. I had a MICRODISCECTOMY, which is where he literally goes in with microscope and just cuts off the herniation off the disc. My recovery will be very quick and so far, so good. So, good, that I was actually released from the hospital today around noon- only 12 hours after my surgery. YAY! I can not tell you how hard it was to be away from Ashlyn- we were still nursing up to this point, so my poor baby is being weaned cold turkey- now that I am home, I still can't nurse because right now, I've had so many things pumped through my body- morphine, percocet, loritab, soma, all kinds of things that my milk is pretty much poisonous to her little body. So, were all suffering the torment of telling her no and trying to give her a bottle or cup of milk. I'm pumping for comfort and its being flushed right down the drain.I'm home (at Mom and Dad's house) in Vegas- I will probably still be here for another week, to get help with the baby during the day- I can't bend over or pick anything up still, but, I'm home, and it looks like on the road to recovery.
I have to say thanks to my amazing family and friends- I have really been shown how much people love us to go out of their way to help- Joleen, Regina & Justin, and Jen for taking Ashlyn this week and even overnight- my Mom and Dad for being with me, Scott for knowing you were better off letting go for a few days so we had the extra help in Vegas, thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. It has been QUITE a whirlwind.

4 comments:

Liz Prisbrey said...

Thank goodness!! I am glad the surgery went smooth and you are back home again. Well, to your parents anyway. But I have to say, I am curious about why you didn't want to go with the doctor in the first place.

Christa said...

um... check the RJ for an article on Mark Kabins...

Jessi McCall said...

Geez, glad you're feeling a little better. Get well soon! I'm so sorry for your bad luck.

Annie said...

OWWW! I am so sorry you had to go through that! No fun, but I am glad that you are doing better. Love ya and you are in my prayers.