Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Road Trip 2009

Ok, we are home from our road trip...
We clocked over 53 HOURS and over 3100 miles in the car for our week long trip. On the first leg of our trip we traveled about 17 hours straight through (only stopping for gas, food, diaper changes, and potty breaks). We left from Cedar and headed to Minnesota via SD... so we could see Mt Rushmore. That was so amazing to see in person- I feel like my life is complete now... haha j/k! But, seriously, it was super cool to see up close and in person. What ever posessed someone to look at a mountain and think to themself- hey, I think I can CARVE a few presidents faces out of this- wow... that takes talent! Here are a few pictures before my camera batteries went dead :(

Then it was on to see the family in Minnesota. This was the first time that Scott's family was able to meet Ashlyn. Well, they all fell in love with her. And she really took to them all pretty quickly also. We stayed at the lake over the weekend and we always enjoy our time there. It was a little colder this year than most of our trips (we usually go July) but, luckily that meant we missed out on all the mosquitos. The time this year at the lake was a little different- chasing a 1 year old. Not quite as "relaxing" as we were both dreaming about- but, it was great to get away from reality, even though it was only for a few days.

Ashlyn had a lot of fun meeting her other "Papa" and Uncle Mike, who decided to teach her how to HEAD BUTT... I could still beat him for that one! She also met Grandma Snookie, Aunt Melissa, Aunt Annette and her cousin April. On the trip home we drove through Denver- to give us a little change of scenery from the FLAT and BORING layout of the midwest. The mountains in Colorado were beautiful! I'm glad we ended up stopping the night and got to enjoy that view during the daylight! (also glad that I didn't get carsick going over the mountains and through all the tunnels!) And for anyone wondering- Ashlyn did GREAT :) in the car. She only had a few crying fits while she was trying to go night night. I am soooo proud of her!
So 7 days later after traveling through Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado...We made it home Wednesday night... awwww to sleep in our own bed... I think the 3 of us were so exhausted and sad to leave the family... but, grateful for the time that we were able to share with them. Can't wait til we can do it again. Miss you guys so much already!!!!

6 comments:

Jessi McCall said...

what a fun trip! I love your pictures. Ashlyn looks ADORABLE!! I'm sure the family loved Ashlyn. :)

Katie said...

Cool pictures...looks like you guys had a great time. Ashlyn is getting so big and I see more hair on her head :)

Emily B said...

Rebecca has that same pink and brown car seat. I picked it out, and I think it is so cute. I'm glad you guys had a fun trip. All that driving does not sound fun with a one year old. I'm glad she did okay.

Liz Prisbrey said...

WHAT A FUN TRIP!!! I am so jealous that you got to go to Mt. Rushmore! I know it sounds lame, but I have always wanted to go there. You got some great pictures too. :-)

Liz Prisbrey said...

WHAT A FUN TRIP!!! I am so jealous that you got to go to Mt. Rushmore! I know it sounds lame, but I have always wanted to go there. You got some great pictures too. :-)

The Swindlehurst's said...

WOW, your little one is a trooper, Kooper would have never been that good for that long!! I cant believe she has so many teeth! Koop only has SIX!! 4 on to ad 2 on bottom and he didnt even get those until after he turned one:) So did you guys move? Whats going on??